The theme of the seminar this semester is baroclinic instability. There will be student-led presentation of key papers and/or chapters in textbooks. We will then apply linear theories to laboratory and numerical experiments. Note that we will meet “every other week” for 2 hours. Key papers/references are:
1. Review of Quasi-Geostrophic and Rossby waves : Vallis Chap 5.3, 5.4, 5.7
2. Eady problem: Vallis 6.4, 6.6
Eady, E. T. 1949. Long Waves and Cyclone Waves. Tellus, 1, 33-52
3. Phillips problem: Vallis 6.7
4. PV thinking: Hoskins Ch. 14.1-14.3
Bretherton F. P. 1966. Baroclinic instability and the short wavelength cut-off in terms of potential vorticity
5. Stone, P. H. 1966. On non-geostrophic baroclinic stability. J. Atmos. Sci., 23, 390-400.
6. James, I. N. 1987. Suppression of baroclinic instability in horizontally sheared flows. J. Atmos, Sci., 44, 3710-3720.
7. Hands-on lab and numerical experiments