I. Description and Outlines
Antennas and propagation play an important role in wireless communications. This course is designed with balanced breadth and depth to help students establish the fundamental understanding of antenna physics and the practical knowledge of radiowave propagation in wireless communication channel. This course will cover the following topics
1. Introduction of Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications
2. Fundamentals of Antennas
3. Wire Antennas
4. Aperture Antennas
5. Antenna Arrays
6. Modern Antenna Applications in Wireless Communication Systems
7. Noise Issues and Link Budget in Wireless Communications
8. Propagation in fixed terrestrial communications
9. Propagation in Satellite Communications
10. Propagation in Multipath Environment
11. Antenna Diversity and Combining Schemes
12. Adaptive Antennas and MIMO systems
13. Antenna Measurements – Gain, EIRP, Sensitivity, and SAR
Textbook: S. R. Saunders, Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1999.
Reference 1: W. L. Stutzman and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1998.
Reference 2: R. E. Collin, Antennas and Radiowave Propagation, McGraw-Hill, 1985.
Homework 30%, Mid Term 30%, Final Exam 40%
Electromagnetics 1 & 2